Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Corruption in Biliran Island Philippines

Good morning how are you today my name is John I am a NZ citizen and live in the Philippines with my wife and Child and wait toget there visa's approved for Australia.
I have been living in Biliran for over a year on an off between trips to Australia.
I know the region well.
I have recently read about aid byaid agency JICA that they have provided aid to Biliran to help with pregnant women to provide medical equipment. The aid package was us$1.5 million and another aid country to provide 32 million euros.
I have since read that the Espina family are corrrupt and the person who controls finances for this aid is Governor Espina. I read that there was a ghost hospital costing 21 million pesos. That the House of representatives for Biliran Glenn A Chong was so incensed when one of there members was killed he ran for Parliamnet to oust the older Espina. The Espina family have controlled the government in Biliran.
My observations of Hospital in Naval, local Barangay in Pinangomhan health clinic and the health clinic in Biliran, I can see no new equipment anywhere such as computers, medical equipment or ambulance. Maybe its there but I didn't see it.
The medical situation in Biliran Island is a problem it needs a bigger hospital currently overcrowded in Naval, need medical equipment and in house pharmacy to supply medicine and not have to buy it at the local pharmacy.
A couple of indicators to indicate a possible problem are no evidence of equipment, official Biliran Island websites that haven't been updated since 2004 and one that hasn't been updated, and a governor that uses a Yahoo address instead of a government email address, very strange. Two brand new JICA Toyota Hi-Lux vehicles sitting in the carpark of the Biliran Garden Island Resort owned by Governor Espina,and not being utilised by government to help provide assistance and reports of corrpution, and Glenn Chong who was so incessed with the Espina family dominating government he ran for the house of representatives.
Japan gives a lot of aid to the Philippines and I would not want this to stop.
I have also read that the Japanese Government have provided funding for the road from Tarlac to Subic, if you really want to help the Philippinos fix the road on Samar which is a national highway running from Allen to Tacloban it is a national disgrace.
If Toyota want to test some vehicles this is the place to take them if you don't believe me go and have a look for yourself the vehicles will be broken or need repair by the time they have covered the journey.
There is old saying where there is smoke there is fire.

Have a good day, and hope this email is of some help to you.

No comments: